How To Cook Ginataang Sitaw at Kalabasa. Ginataang sitaw at kalabasa is a Filipino dish, consisting mainly of coconut milk or gata, long beans or sitaw and squash or kalabasa. I don't have much preference when it comes to vegetable dishes but since this ginataang sitaw at kalabasa recipe contains additional crabs which I really crave much, I could recommend it to you guys. Here's how to cook ginataang sitaw at kalabasa with yummy crabs from panlasangpinoy.
4 lbs fresh blue crabs (alimasag)
1 lb squash (calabaza), sliced into cubes
1 bunch string beans (about 3 to 4 cups), cut into 2.5 inch length
3 1/2 cups coconut milk
1 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 medium onion, sliced
2 teaspoons garlic, minced
2 tablespoons cooking oil
1. Heat a cooking pot and pour cooking oil.
2. Saute garlic and onion.
3. Add fish sauce and coconut cream, and then let boil.
4. Put-in the ground black pepper, and then cook for 10 minutes in medium heat until the liquid reduces.
5. Put-in the crabs and stir. Cook for 10 minutes.
6. Add the squash (kalabasa) and cook until the squash becomes a little soft.
7. Add the string beans, stir, and cook for 3 to 5 minutes.
8. Turn the heat off and transfer to a serving plate.
9. Serve with hot steamed rice.
Note: You can substitute the crabs with pork, cut into small bite pieces. Or you can also make it all vegan, remove the crabs/pork completely. Simply adjust the seasonings according to taste.